Choate Rosemary Hall has an opening for an Accounting Assistant. The Accounting Assistant is responsible for various financial and accounting related office tasks including timely and accurate processing of accounts payable invoices and employee reimbursements, cash receipts, general ledger transactions, and complying with approved financial policies and procedures.
This position is non-exempt, scheduled for 37.5 hours per week, and is eligible for benefits and paid time off.
- Review and process vendor invoices for payment & maintain vendor and budget authority approval lists.
- Produce payable EFT, check runs, and employee reimbursements weekly.
- Performs the daily maintenance of the School’s corporate credit card program, review credit card expense reports for accuracy, compliance, and proper authorization and act as a liaison between Choate and credit card bank; prepare integration for general ledger processing; process credit card applications.
- Prepare and submit CT Sales tax quarterly.
- Maintain Unclaimed Property list and file Unclaimed Property report with the State of CT electronically.
- Prepare accurate and timely 1099 and related forms annually.
- Prepare and close AP for calendar and fiscal year in financial accounting software and assist in annual audit reconciliation and preparation.
- Responsible for accurate posting of invoices to the appropriate fiscal year during year-end closing and identify invoices that should be posted as prepaid transactions or year-end accruals.
- Help process daily bank deposits, cash receipts, and journal entries in financial accounting software.
- Prepare monthly journal entries and reconcile assigned general ledger accounts.
- Conduct general ledger research and analysis as requested.
- Maintain and balance petty cash for the Financial Office.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, college level accounting classes or associate degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years related accounting experience in different areas of a Financial/Business Office including general ledger, accounts receivable and accounts payable; including solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting principles.
- Technical expertise: Advanced MS Excel, Word proficiency (vlookups, pivot tables, etc.), and financial accounting software required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Working at Choate: Choate Rosemary Hall is a coeducational, independent secondary school located in central Connecticut with 850 boarding and day students and over 400 employees. Choate serves intellectually gifted and motivated students of diverse backgrounds from across the globe whose commitment to serious study is enhanced in an academically challenging and personally supportive setting.
Choate provides students with transformative and meaningful experiences that instill lifelong habits of learning, leadership, and service, shaped by innovative and passionate educators. Teaching faculty at Choate are innovative, collaborative, and committed to our students' intellectual, social, emotional, and character development. Our faculty understands that each of our students has the potential for growth and works to encourage students to develop their own ideas and voices in learner-centered environments.
For its students and employees alike, Choate strives to be a diverse and inclusive community where all feel valued and embraced. On our campus, principled individuals from diverse backgrounds are united through common purpose, active engagement, and mutual respect. We celebrate differences and the richness of our varied backgrounds and experiences. Recognizing that working in an inclusive community can also present challenges, we embrace those challenges through ongoing dialogue and interaction, enhancing empathy and appreciation for those whose perspectives differ from our own.
Choate prohibits in all its programs, including hiring and employment practices, discrimination against or harassment of any member or group based upon age, gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other category protected by Connecticut or federal law, except in the case of a bona fide occupational qualification.