Community Safety Officer
Reporting to the Manager of Community Safety, the Community Safety Officer provides community safety and communications in support of students, employees, and visitors to the Choate Rosemary Hall campus.
We have two openings for full-time, first shift, academic year officers, in addition- this position is eligible for paid time off and benefits.
The schedules for the two openings are:
First shift on Thursday – Monday (off on Tuesday and Wednesday) &
First shift on Wednesday – Sunday (off on Monday and Tuesday).
Duties and responsibilities:
- Using a centralized alarm system, respond to all alarms on campus. Convey information regarding alarms in a timely and professional manner to the appropriate organization (Police, Fire, Facilities Services, etc.).
- Respond to requests for assistance from the Choate Rosemary Hall community in a timely manner.
- Perform vehicle shift patrols on campus. This includes, but is not limited to, security patrol, fire watch, locked or unlocked doors and windows, campus lighting, suspicious activities, parking control, crowd and traffic control for special events and outside vendors on campus. Must be a visible presence on campus and have the ability to communicate professionally with all constituents of the Choate community.
- Answer incoming calls as required. Direct callers to appropriate person, dispense information, and dispatch community safety officers, as appropriate.
- Provide inspection services and reports for emergency lighting, exit lighting, and fire alarm drills on a scheduled basis.
- Complete daily shift reports and work orders.
- Previous public safety or security experience preferred.
- Valid CT driver's license and good driving record required.
- CT Guard card required within 6 months of hire.
- AED and CPR certification required within one year of hire. Other life safety certifications may be required in the future.
- Able to work independently and project a positive customer service attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Able to manage high stress situations in a calm, procedural manner.
- Basic computer skills.
- To access most buildings on campus, this position will require the ability to ascend or descend stairs on a frequent basis.
Working at Choate: Choate Rosemary Hall is a coeducational, independent secondary school located in central Connecticut with 850 boarding and day students and over 350 employees. Choate serves intellectually gifted and motivated students of diverse backgrounds from across the globe whose commitment to serious study is enhanced in an academically challenging and personally supportive setting.
Choate provides students with transformative and meaningful experiences that instill lifelong habits of learning, leadership, and service, shaped by innovative and passionate educators. Teaching faculty at Choate are innovative, collaborative, and committed to our students' intellectual, social, emotional, and character development. Our faculty understands that each of our students has the potential for growth and works to encourage students to develop their own ideas and voices in learner-centered environments.
For its students and employees alike, Choate strives to be a diverse and inclusive community where all feel valued and embraced. On our campus, principled individuals from diverse backgrounds are united through common purpose, active engagement, and mutual respect. We celebrate differences and the richness of our varied backgrounds and experiences. Recognizing that working in an inclusive community can also present challenges, we embrace those challenges through ongoing dialogue and interaction, enhancing empathy and appreciation for those whose perspectives differ from our own.
Choate prohibits in all its programs, including hiring and employment practices, discrimination against or harassment of any member or group based upon age, gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other category protected by Connecticut or federal law, except in the case of a bona fide occupational qualification.