Reporting to the Assistant Manager of Grounds, the Groundskeeper works as part of a team and is responsible for school grounds maintenance and the identification and resolution of landscape issues to achieve a safe and attractive campus environment. Grounds personnel must be available for early morning and/or late night hours when necessary to meet the goals and mission of the School.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefits eligible, year round position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform landscape and turf responsibilities, as each season requires. This includes such duties as pruning, mowing, fertilization, planting and transplanting nursery stock, tree removal, weed control, leaf pick-up and irrigation system maintenance.
- Prepare and maintain all athletic fields and surfaces to ensure they are safe ready to use. This includes grooming fields, tennis courts maintenance and care of equipment including goals, nets, benches backstops etc.
- Perform tasks and duties as required for special events, such as graduation, alumni, parent's weekend, PMAC events and school conferences. This may include evening and weekend work.
- Respond in a timely manner to emergency situations on campus such as snow and ice removal, flooding, limbs/trees down and other severe weather problems. This may include evening and weekend work.
- Operate a pickup truck or utility vehicle to get to and from assigned areas on campus.
- Provide additional support to other departments in the care of the campus infrastructure.
- Provide back up support for hockey rink operations.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Assistant Manager of Grounds and the Grounds and Vehicle Manager.
- 1 year minimum experience in grounds keeping, using tractors, large mowing equipment, power tools and hand tools.
- Have knowledge of and understand federal, state and local regulations as relates to grounds keeping.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Possess basic computer proficiency skills.
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or for events scheduled during non-regular business hours.
- Able and willing to fulfill scheduled "on call" responsibilities.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Connecticut driver's license.
- Ability to understand and follow all applicable safety guidelines.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- State of Connecticut Pesticide Applicator's License required or must obtain within 6 months of hire.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Significant physical activity required including but not limited to; bending, kneeling, stooping, working on ladders, working in tight places, lifting over 50 lbs.
- Handling of a variety of hand and power tools.
- Work in extreme inclement weather conditions.